J Biomed 2018; 3:1-7. doi:10.7150/jbm.20966 This volume
Drug development of Lung Diseases by way of Drug Repurposing; What a Pulmonary Physician can do in the Laboratory
1. Pulmonary Department-Oncology Unit, “G. Papanikolaou” General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
2. Sana Clinic Group Franken, Department of Cardiology / Pulmonology / Intensive Care / Nephrology, ''Hof'' Clinics, University of Erlangen, Hof, Germany;
3. Department of Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece;
4. Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Changhai Hospital/First Affiliated Hospital of the Secondary Military Medical University, Shanghai, China;
5. Johns Hopkins University, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Baltimore, Maryland, United States;
6. Surgery Department, “Interbalkan European Medical Center”, Thessaloniki, Greece;
7. Thoracic Surgery Department, “Theageneio” Anticancer Center, Thessaloniki, Greece;
8. Interventional Pulmonary Department, “Ruhrland Klinic”, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany;
9. Research Laboratory and International Collaboration, Bon Secours Cancer Institute, VA, USA.
Zarogoulidis P, Tsiouda T, Hohenforst-Schmidt W, Sardeli C, Huang H, Yarmus L, Kosmidis C, Porpodis K, Barbetakis N, Paliouras D, Freitag L, Man YG. Drug development of Lung Diseases by way of Drug Repurposing; What a Pulmonary Physician can do in the Laboratory. J Biomed 2018; 3:1-7. doi:10.7150/jbm.20966. Available from /v03p0001.htm
Lung diseases are very common among several patients such as; asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, cystic fibrosis and pulmonary fibrosis. In many of these diseases we already have inhalation therapies, however; for others we have only systematic administration. There are also diseases of the lung that cause pulmonary hypertension and architectural damage to the lung such as; emphysema and bronchiectasis. Several of the drugs currently administered intravenously are being investigated whether they could be transformed and delivered as aerosol therapy. We will present the methodology that can be used and has been used for several drugs.
Keywords: aerosol, devices, inhalation, milling, mastersizer, droplets, particles.